Monday, February 25, 2013

Basic Paleo Meatballs



We love meatballs. Meatballs are fun! You can reach in the fridge and grab a leftover meatball and eat it cold as a snack. And yes, I've always eaten food that should be hot, cold. Some leftovers are just better cold.

You can make meatballs 1000 different ways, with more sauce variations than you can even count. Our current household favorite is a simple ground beef meatball, with what we've dubbed "swedish" sauce. OR, "Creamy Garlic Sauce"

We have it easy for meatballs, because we can eat eggs. Stacey's family does not eat eggs, so there will be an egg free variation to these as well. I tend to make a LOT of meatballs at once, and eat leftovers for a few days, or freeze them. I'm positive you remember those frozen meatballs at Sams Club? Same concept, only real, wholesome food. No additives, preservatives, MSG, not to mention gluten free and delicious.

Now if you're at my house, the first and most important part of making meatballs, is removing the ground meat from the freezer early enough to actually accomplish your goal. If you don't thaw out your meat, this recipe simply will not work no matter how strong your mixer or your arm.



Tools you'll need;
A large, high powered stand mixer. This is of course optional, you don't HAVE to have a mixer. But my mixer is magnificent, and I use it every chance I get. I love my KitchenAid mixer. The large 6qt professional series mixer will mix 5lbs of meatballs/meatloaf for me. Altho at that capacity I have to use the splatter screen. ~insert evil laughter here~
A medium bowl
whisk 
13x9 baking dish, or two.

Meatball Ingredients;
2lbs ground beef
1 cup almond meal (I grind my own in my Ninja but Bob's Red Mill is a finer grind)
3-4 eggs
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 cloves minced garlic

Dump all of that into your stand mixer (or a large bowl) and turn it on with the paddle attachment, and let it come together slightly on the lowest setting. Then turn it to whatever setting you'd use for bread. For mine, that's speed 2.

While your meatballs are working (or after if you prefer to pound the days frustrations out on some meat with your hands) make your sauce.




Garlic Cream Sauce ingredients;
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1-2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp basil

Whisk it together and go back to your meatballs. Form your meatballs, about 1- 1 1/2 inch balls works best. Lay them out in your baking dish (or two) and then pour the sauce over the top.

Bake @ 350* for 45 minutes to an hour. You want the sauce bubbly, reduced, and slightly browned around the edges.
When they're done, pour them in a serving dish. The smallest they'll fit in and let them rest in all the delicious creaminess of the sauce. This is important, as they cool slightly, the sauce thickens and sticks. And trust me, you'll want to lick your plate.

I generally serve our meatballs over a roasted or steamed spaghetti squash or steamed broccoli.


~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment