Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicken Fried Steak? Paleo? Oh Yes, I did.

I'm a Southern girl, born and raised in the heart of the Texas Panhandle. That in and of itself is a unique type of Southern I assure you.

As a child, when we got the chance to eat out, 85% of the time we all ordered Chicken Fried Steak, or Chicken Strips. Well, except for dad. He'd break occasionally and get a real steak, or mom would make us try her chicken fried Liver. It came to you piping hot, crispy, with more breading than meat. Piled on top of a piece of Texas Toast and absolutely smothered in rich, cream gravy. As a side my favorite was battered and deep fried corn, and french fries smothered in that same delectable gravy. I looked for an accurate picture to show you what it looked like, but they all have the audacity of not enough gravy and the nerve to include green beans or broccoli. I am astonished. Instead, here is MY Chicken Fried Steak, which we had for lunch today.





If you've read any of our posts here, you know that in no way, shape or form is a Chicken Fried Steak possible. Or is it?

My friends, anything is possible.

At the grocery store on Monday I picked up some cube steaks that were on sale. Cube steaks are the traditional medium for Chicken Fried Steak, and rare for us because they are rather expensive. Generally if I'm going to spend $6/lb for meat it's a Ribeye or T-Bone on sale. This package however was a very low price, so I snatched it.

So here I've been starting at these beautiful cube steak strips, not enough for a full dinner meal, but a passable lunch. The last few months since I've been pregnant I've been eating grains again so I figured I'd just use rice flour and make the breading and gravy that way. Which works, and is delicious. But yesterday I realized that altho my blood pressure is still good and well within normal limits, its 25pts higher than it was grain free. Grumble grumble grumble. I'm back off grains as of today. But I want a Chicken Fried Steak!

Enter coconut flour. Of course! Coconut flour!

Paleo Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy

Ingredients
Cube steaks, or a cut of steak you've tenderized yourself with a meat hammer (that can be fun)
1 large head cauliflower
1-2 cups almond milk (or coconut of course)
1 egg beaten *optional
1 cup coconut flour
salt
pepper
garlic powder
cayenne pepper *optional
one large-ish glob of coconut oil

Chop the head of cauliflower, and place it in a sauce pan. Pour in some almond milk, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let this cook just like you would to steam it, over a medium-medium low heat until its tender.


 
Meanwhile, preheat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet to a medium high heat.

In a dish of your choice put the coconut flour, and season it somewhat generously with salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper


Use a different dish to beat the egg. Dip your cube steak into the egg, and then into the coconut flour mixture. Press the "breading" into the meat so it sticks in the little crevices.


Put your large glob of coconut oil in the skillet and let it melt, then gently add your meat. You want it to sizzle, but not smoke, foam or get really loud. If its too loud or pops, turn the fire down a bit.
make sure to flip it gently about half way through cooking, to brown on both sides. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your meat. My strips took 10-12 minutes total.



Once your strips are nicely browned on both sides, remove them and let them rest.



Take out your blender or food processor, pour in the cauliflower including the liquid, and blend until its well pureed. I used the processor bowl of my Ninja, and it works very nicely.

Here you have it, Southern style Chicken Fried Steak.
Is it the same as I remember? No. But it's full of flavor, it has real nutrition, and after eating it I do not feel over full or heavy. And who doesn't love the added bonus of a vegetable as cream gravy? I may finish off the gravy with a spoon. With zero "ick" factor and zero guilt.

~Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment