Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chocolate Cheesecake

14 years ago today I met and fell in love with my very best friend. 14 years, 2 cats, 3 kids, and a whole lot of learning about our health later....

Here we are. Healthier and definitely happier.

I wanted to make a special treat to celebrate which honestly I don't do very often. This past weekend we had. Get together with our closest friends from college (and all their kids too) and we had the Chocolate Decadence Cake from Lexie's Kitchen. It was great but I wanted to do something different.

Enter the Dark Chocolate Cheesecake by Swisspaleo. I didn't have dates for the crust and I didn't want to make a huge cake so I had some work to do.





First, I had to figure out a crust. I decided to use the cashew crust from the pumpkin pie recipe and looking back it might have been awesome to add some cocoa power and a bit more syrup to make it chocolate. Next time I will do that for sure!

Next I had to figure out how much filling to make because we don't NEED a whole cake...although I could certainly eat it all. It's chocolate .... 'Nuff said. I decided on half the recipe which made 10 tiny cheesecakes.

Tiny cheesecakes? Yes, tiny, muffin cup size cheesecakes. I did this because I don't own a springform pan and the silicone molds would peel nicely off the tiny treats. I'm drooling just thinking about them!

Chocolate Cheesecake Bites
Prepare the cashew crust and place in muffin cups.
Bake at 300 for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool.

Chocolate Cheesecake Filling
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
5 tsp lemon juice
1/3+ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
Pinch of sea salt
2 tbsp and 2 tsp coconut butter
2tbsp coconut oil

Put the cashews, syrup, and water in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Add the cocoa powder, lemon juice, and salt. Blend again!
Add the coconut butter and coconut oil and ... You guessed it...blend again.

Without licking the spoon (I dare you!), spoon filling into each cup. It's thick and I recommend wetting the spoon. Place in the fridge for a few hours and try not to eat them. I double dare you.



No comments:

Post a Comment