Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pumpkin Pie

Yes it's possible without dairy, eggs, sugar, and gluten. I swear!

This is by far my favorite dessert (aside from cheesecake). In fact I distinctly remember making one during my first pregnancy and eating the entire thing over two days. My husband isn't a fan of pumpkin so what was a pumpkin loving pregnant gal to do?

Eat it of course!

With my first two eliminations (dairy and eggs) it looked as though pumpkin pie was a no go since its traditionally made with eggs and condensed sweetened milk. I've tried a flax version and it came out kind of gooey so I honestly haven't had pie I years. So sad.

I came across The Spunky Coconuts chai Pumpkin bars and in reeding the comments I saw that someone had used unflavored gelatin. What a great idea! I still never embarked on the quest as I didn't have a suitable crust and couldn't use the crust in the original recipe.

I was inspired this past Thanksgiving, hungry for our and pregnant again. A friend has made the pumpkin chai bars and said if the chai part was omitted it would make a great pumpkin pie....which got me thinking...

So here is my version of Pumpkin Pie.

Crust ingredients:
3/4 cup cashew meal
2 tbsp coconut oil cut into pieces
1 tbsp grade B maple syrup
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
Grease your preferred pan with coconut oil (unless you use a silicone mold in which case you can peel it off later).
Mix all ingredients until you have a dough ball formed.
Press into your preferred pan and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes. It will look weird, bubbly, and gooey. I promise it will solidify after cooling and be well worth those nerve wracking moments when you're just not sure about the recipe.

Pumpkin Pie Filling
3/4 cup pumpkin purée
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup grade b maple syrup
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Place your coconut milk in gelatin in a sauce pan and heat gently, stirring until the gelatin is dissolved.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir well.

Fill your crust laden pan with filling and pop it all into the refrigerator and walk away. Give it at least an hour before you go poking it, if you can wait that long.

This is best served right out of the refrigerator as the coconut oil keeps the crust solid.





~Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment