Monday, March 4, 2013

My Laundry Solution

I know this is mainly a food blog but I really like my laundry system and I want to share it.

With three girls all the clothes look the same to my husband. He can tell what belongs to the baby because of its size but figuring out what belongs to our five year old and our three year old is a bit more tricky. They even wear the same size underwear!

I also felt I was spending too much time sorting clothes for the two girls in order to put it away in the right place. With my laundry system I've negated the separation between child step and can focus on the separation of pants vs shirts, etc.

And they each have a dedicated laundry day so the basket doesn't get overfull.

And then there were the socks! The dreaded sock monsters in the laundry room kept stealing the kids socks and rather than face bankruptcy buying socks I figured I should come up with a new system.

So here it is. I bought three square laundry baskets from Target, a package of 3 lingerie bags, 1 yard sew on velcro, 1 yard sticky back Velcro, and found 3 coordinated but different ribbons.

First I threaded the ribbon through the holes in the basket, securing the ends with hot glue. This labeled each basket so even non-readers could identify which basket belonged to them.

Next I put 12 inches of sticky back Velcro along one edge of each basket. I chose to put the hook side (the rough part) since the sew on side would be on the lingerie bag and go into the wash. I didn't want the clothes getting snagged.

Next I sewed 12 inches of loop to each lingerie bag with a piece of ribbon to match the baskets. Now the bags are labeled in the same way as the baskets and even my husband can discern whose socks are whose!

The way I put the bags in the baskets keeps the bag open so the girls can toss their socks in easily. This doesn't always work for my fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants 3 year old but my 5 year old understands the concept.






~Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment